Professorial Fellow, ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies, James Cook University, 2016 – current
Chief Research Scientist, Centre for Tropical Water & Aquatic Ecosystem Research (TropWATER), 2014 – 2016
Principal Research Scientist, Australian Centre for Tropical Freshwater Research, James Cook University, 2001 – 2013
Director, Water Quality and Coastal Development Section, Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, 1990 – 2001
Research Scientist, Australian Centre for Tropical Freshwater Research, James Cook University, 1988 – 1990
Director, Institute of Natural Resources, University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji, 1986 – 1987
Research Fellow, Institute of Natural Resources, University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji, 1981 – 1986
Link to JCU Research Portfolio *
* Note the Research Portfolio webpage for me is generally incomplete and quite out of date.
My research interests are in the sources of pollutants in catchments, transport of pollutants to the marine environment, the dispersal of land-based pollutants in coastal and marine environments and the effects of terrestrial pollutants on marine ecosystems. I am particularly interested in the following research areas: water quality in tropical coastal marine environments; the effects of sediments, nutrients, pesticides and other contaminants on coral reef and seagrass bed ecosystems; catchment sources of sediment, nutrient and pesticide discharge to coastal environments; land use practices which lead to enhanced rates of sediment, nutrient and pesticide discharge to coastal environments; river plume dynamics and biological, physical and chemical processes occurring in river plumes; temporal and spatial dynamics of water quality on the Great Barrier Reef; water quality management systems in coral reef environments. I have published over 100 peer reviewed articles in this field as well as more than 300 technical reports, books and book chapters.
I am also heavily involved in policy advice to Australian governments regarding management of water quality issues for the Great Barrier Reef. I was the lead author of the Scientific Consensus Statement documenting the status of knowledge and management for water quality issues affecting the Great Barrier Reef for the Queensland and Australian Governments in 2008, 2013 and 2016/2017 leading groups of more than 50 scientists and policy experts. I have been closely involved in the Water Quality Improvement Planning process for the GBR NRM regions over the last 10 years.
Recent Research Projects
- Cape York Water Quality Improvement Plan – CY NRM 2015 – 2016
- Great Barrier Reef Water Quality Targets 2017 – Queensland and Australian Governments. 2016 – 2017.
- 2017 Scientific Consensus Statement – Queensland and Australian Governments. 2016 – 2017.
- Deriving ecologically relevant load targets to meet desired ecosystem condition for the Great Barrier Reef: a case study for seagrass meadows in the Burdekin region – NESP 2017 – 2019
- Defining the values of the marine ecological systems that influence the Great Barrier Reef but lie outside the marine park and World Heritage boundaries (e.g. Torres Strait, Coral Sea, Hervey Bay), and how their management and connectivity can align and be incorporated into protected area management – NESP 2017 – 2019
- Identifying the water quality and ecosystem health threats to the high diversity Torres Strait and Far Northern GBR from runoff from the Fly River – NESP 2015 – 2018
- Rivers to Reef to Turtle, Pollution and green turtle health – WWF and Bancroft Station Wines 2015 – 2017
- Fitzroy Water Quality Improvement Plan – FBA NRM 2015
- Burdekin Water Quality Improvement Plan – NQDT NRM 2015
- Torres Strait water quality monitoring program – 2014 – 2015.
- Determination of suitable financial contributions as offsets within the Reef Trust(with The Biodiversity Consultancy) – Department of the Environment, Australian Government.
- MV Rena shipwreck cleanup expert advice – Bay of Plenty Regional Council, New Zealand. 2013 – 2017
- Burnett Mary Water Quality Improvement Plan – BMRG NRM. 2014.
- Wet Tropics Water Quality Improvement Plan – Terrain NRM. 2014.
- Reef Plan Herbert Water Quality Monitoring Program – Queensland Government and SRDC. 2011 – 2016.
- GBRMPA coastal catchments program water quality chapters– GBRMPA, Australian Government. 2012 – 2013.
- Pesticide dynamics in the Great Barrier Reef catchment and lagoon: management practices (grazing, bananas and grain crops) and risk assessments – Reef Rescue Initiative, Caring for Country, Australian Government. 2010 – 2013.
- Pesticide dynamics in the Great Barrier Reef catchment and lagoon: management practices in the sugarcane industry – Reef Rescue Initiative, Caring for Country, Australian Government. 2010 – 2013.
- Tracking coastal turbidity over time and demonstrating the effects of river discharge events on regional turbidity in the GBR – NERP, Australian Government. 2012 – 2014.
- Hazard Assessment for water quality threats to Torres Strait marine waters, ecosystems and public health – NERP, Australian Government. 2011 – 2013.
- Conservation planning for a changing coastal zone – NERP, Australian Government. 2011 – 2014.
- Socio-economic systems and reef resilience – NERP, Australian Government. 2011 – 2014.
- Catchment to coast conservation planning – NERP, Australian Government. 2011 – 2014.
- Assessment of vegetated systems as options for treating pollutants in run-off from cane farms – Queensland Government. 2012 – 2014.
- Reef Rescue MMP – Assessment of terrestrial run off entering the Great Barrier Reef – Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority.
- Risk Assessment for water quality and the GBR – Queensland Government. 2012 – 2013.
- 2013 Scientific Consensus Statement – Queensland and Australian Governments. 2012 – 2013.
- Flinders and Gilbert Agricultural Resource Assessment Project – Australian Government. 2012 – 2013.
Full list of publications on Google Scholar
Books, book chapters and technical reports
Recent Journal Articles
- Tsatsaros, J., Wellman, J.L., Bohnet, I., Brodie, J., Valentine, P. 2018. Indigenous Water Governance in Australia: Comparisons with the United States and Canada. Water 10, 1639; doi:10.3390/w10111639.
- Bainbridge, Z., Lewis, S., Bartley, R.., Fabricius, K., Collier, C., Waterhouse, J., Garzon-Garcia, A., Robson, B., Burton, J., Wenger, A., Brodie, J. 2018. Fine sediment and particulate organic matter: A review and case study on ridge-to-reef transport, transformations, fates, and impacts on marine ecosystems. Marine Pollution Bulletin 135, 1205 – 1220.
- George, A.M., Brodie, J., Daniell, J., Capper, A., Jonker, M. 2018. Can sponge morphologies act as environmental proxies to biophysical factors in the Great Barrier Reef, Australia? Ecological Indicators 93, 1152–1162.
- Lewis, S.E., Lough, J.M., Cantin, N.E., Matson, E.G., Kinsley, L., Bainbridge, Z.T., Brodie, J.E. 2018. A critical evaluation of coral Ba/Ca, Mn/Ca and Y/Ca ratios as indicators of terrestrial input: new data from the Great Barrier Reef, Australia. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 237, 131 – 154.
- Caron, A., Thomas, C., Berry, K.L.E., Motti, C.A., Ariel, E., Brodie, J.E. 2018. Validation of an optimised protocol for quantification of microplastics in heterogenous samples: a case study using green turtle chyme. MethodsX 5, 70 – 81
- Schaffelke, B., Fabricius, K., Kroon, F., Brodie, J., De’ath, G., Shaw, R., Tarte, D., Warne, M. and Thorburn, P., 2018. Support for improved quality control but misplaced criticism of GBR science. Reply to viewpoint “The need for a formalised system of Quality Control for environmental policy-science” by P. Larcombe and P. Ridd (Marine Pollution Bulletin 126: 449–461, 2018). Marine Pollution Bulletin, 129(1), 357-363.
- Caron, A. G. M., Thomas, C.R., Berry, K.E.L., Motti, C.A., Ariel, E., Brodie, J.E. 2018. Ingestion of microplastic debris by green sea turtles (Chelonia mydas) in the Great Barrier Reef: Validation of a sequential extraction protocol. Marine Pollution Bulletin 127, 743-751.
- Nakaoka, M., Sudo, K., Namba, M., Shibata, H., Nakamura, F., Ishikawa, S., Makino, M., Yamano, H., Matsuzaki, S.S., Yamakita, T., Yu, X., Hou, X., Li, X., Brodie, J., Kanemoto, K., Moran, D., Verones, F. 2018. TSUNAGARI: a new interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary study toward conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity and ecosystem services. Ecological Research 33. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11284-017-1534-4
- Brodie, J., Baird, M., Mongin, M., Skerratt, J., Robillot, C., Waterhouse, J. 2017. Pollutant target setting for the Great Barrier Reef: Using the eReefs framework. In; Proceedings of MODSIM, 2017
- Wooldridge, S., Heron, S.F., Brodie, J.E., Done, T.J., Masiri, I., Hinrichs, S. 2017. Excess seawater nutrients, enlarged algal symbiont densities and bleaching sensitive reef locations: 2. A regional‐scale predictive model for the Great Barrier Reef, Australia. Marine Pollution Bulletin 114(1), 343-354.
- Dale, A., Vella, K., Gooch, M., Potts, R., Pressey, R.L., Brodie, J., Eberhard, R. 2018. Avoiding implementation failure in catchment landscapes: A Case Study in Governance of the Great Barrier Reef. Environmental Management 62, 70-81
- Pratchett, M.S., Caballes, C.F., Wilmes, J.C., Matthews, S., Mellin, C., Sweatman, H.P., Nadler, L.E., Brodie, J., Thompson, C.A., Hoey, J. and Bos, A.R., 2017. 30 Years of Research on Crown-of-thorns Starfish (1986-2016): Scientific Advances and Emerging Opportunities. Diversity 9, 41.
- Brodie, J., Devlin, M., Lewis, S. 2017. Potential Enhanced Survivorship of Crown of Thorns Starfish Larvae due to Near-Annual Nutrient Enrichment during Secondary Outbreaks on the Central Mid-Shelf of the Great Barrier Reef, Australia. Diversity 9, 17.
- Brodie, J.E., Lewis, S., Wooldridge, S., Bainbridge, Z.T., Waterhouse, J., Honchin, C., Holmes, G., Fabricius, K., Collier, C., Rasheed, M. 2017. Setting ecologically relevant targets for river pollutant loads so as to meet marine water quality requirements for the Great Barrier Reef, Australia: A preliminary methodology and analysis. Ocean and Coastal Management 143, 136 – 147.
- Gladish, D. W., Kuhnert, P., Pagendam, D.E., Wikle, C.K., Bartley, R., Searle, R.D., Ellis, R.J., Dougall, C., Turner, R.D.R., Lewis, S.E., Bainbridge, Z.T., Brodie, J.E. 2016. Spatio-temporal assimilation of modelled catchment loads with monitoring data in the Great Barrier Reef. The Annals of Applied Statistics10 (3), 1590–1618. DOI: 10.1214/16-AOAS950
- Dale, A.P., Vella, K., Gooch, M., Potts, R., Pressey, R.L., Brodie, J., Eberhard, R. 2016 online. Risk analysis of the governance system affecting outcomes in the Great Barrier Reef. Journal of Environmental Management 183, 712-721.
- Brodie J., Pearson, R. 2016. Ecosystem health of the Great Barrier Reef: Time for effective management action based on evidence. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 183, 438-451.
- Davis, A., Tink, M., Rohde, K., Brodie, J.E. 2016. Urea contributions to dissolved ‘organic’ nitrogen losses from intensive, fertilised agriculture. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 223, 190 – 196.
- Fabricius K. E., Logan, M., Weeks S. J., Lewis S. E., Brodie J. 2016. Changes in water clarity related to river discharges on the Great Barrier Reef continental shelf: 2002-2013. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 173, A1 – A15.
- Chaiechi, T., Stoeckl, N., Jarvis, D., Lewis, S., Brodie, J. 2016. Assessing the impact of price changes and extreme climatic events on sediment loads in a large river catchment near the Great Barrier Reef. Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 59, 1-20.
- Waterhouse, J., Brodie, J., Audas, D., Lewis, S. 2016. Land-sea connectivity, ecohydrology and holistic management of the Great Barrier Reef and it’s catchments: time for a change. Ecohydrology & Hydrobiology16, 45 – 57.
- Clark, T., Leonard, N., Zhao, J., Brodie, J., McCook, L., Wachenfeld, D., Nguyen, A., Markham, H., Pandolfi, J. 2016. Historical photographs revisited: A case study for dating and characterizing recent loss of coral cover on the inshore Great Barrier Reef. Scientific Reports6, 19285.
- O’Brien, D., Lewis, S., Davis, A., Gallen, C., Smith, R., Turner, R., Warne, M., Turner, S., Caswell, S., Mueller, J., Brodie, J. 2016. Spatial and temporal variability in pesticide exposure downstream of a heavily irrigated cropping area: the application of different monitoring techniques. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry
- Davis, A., Pearson, R., Brodie, J., Butler, B. 2016. Review and conceptual models of agricultural impacts and water quality in tropical and sub-tropical waterways of the Great Barrier Reef catchment area. Marine and Freshwater Research 68(1), 1-19.
- Bainbridge Z., Lewis S., Smithers S., Wilkinson S., Douglas G., Hillier S., Brodie J. 2016. Clay mineral source tracing and characterisation of Burdekin River (NE Australia) and flood plume fine sediment. Journal of Soils and Sediments16, 687 – 706. doi: 10.1007/s11368-015-1282-4.
- Álvarez-Romero JG, Pressey RL, Ban NC, Brodie J 2015 Advancing Land-Sea Conservation Planning: Integrating Modelling of Catchments, Land- Use Change, and River Plumes to Prioritise Catchment Management and Protection. PLoS ONE 10(12): e0145574. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0145574
- Wooldridge, S., Brodie, J. 2015. Environmental triggers for primary outbreaks of crown-of-thorns starfish on the Great Barrier Reef, Australia. Marine Pollution Bulletin 101, 805 – 815
- Devlin, M., Caroline Petus, Eduardo da Silva, Dieter Tracey, Nicholas Wolff, Jane Waterhouse and Jon Brodie. 2015. Water quality and river plume monitoring in the Great Barrier Reef: an overview of methods based on ocean colour satellite data. Remote Sensing, 7, 12909-12941; doi:10.3390/rs71012909
- Connolly, N. Pearson, R., Loong,D., Maughan, M., Brodie, J. 2015. Water quality variation along streams with similar agricultural development but contrasting riparian vegetation. Agriculture, Ecosystems and the Environment. 213, 11 – 20.
- Wooldridge, S.A., Brodie, J.E.,Kroon, F.J., Turner, R. 2015. Ecologically relevant targets for dissolved inorganic nitrogen (DIN) discharge from the drainage basins of the Wet Tropics Region, Great Barrier Reef. Marine Pollution Bulletin. 97, 262 – 272.
- Hughes, T.P., Day, J., Brodie,J. 2015. Securing the Future of the Great Barrier Reef. Nature Climate Change, 5, 508 – 511.
- Weeks, S.J., Magno-Canto, M.M., Jaine, F.R.A., Brodie, J., Richardson, A.J. 2015. Unique Sequence of Events Triggers Manta Ray Feeding Frenzy in the Southern Great Barrier Reef, Australia.Remote Sensing 7, 3138-3152. doi:10.3390/rs70303138
- Bainbridge, Z. T., S. E. Lewis, S. G. Smithers, P. M. Kuhnert, B. L. Henderson, and J.E. Brodie 2014. Fine-suspended sediment and water budgets for a large, seasonally dry tropical catchment: Burdekin River catchment, Queensland, Australia, Water Resources Research, 50, 9067 – 9087. doi:10.1002/2013WR014386.
- Álvarez-Romero, J., Wilkinson, S., Pressey B., Ban, N., Kool, J., Brodie, J. 2014 Modeling catchment nutrients and sediment loads to inform regional management of water quality in coastal-marine ecosystems: a comparison of two approaches. Journal of Environmental Management146, 164-178.
- Fabricius, K., Logan, M., Weeks, S., Brodie, J. 2014. The effects of river run-off on water clarity across the central Great
Barrier Reef. Marine Pollution Bulletin 84, 191 – 200.http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2014.05.012
- Davis, A.M., Lewis, S.E., Brodie, J.E., Benson, A. 2014. The potential benefits of herbicide regulation: A cautionary note for the Great Barrier Reef catchment area. Science of the Total Environment490, 81 – 92.
- Brodie, J. 2014. Dredging the Great Barrier Reef: Use and misuse of science. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 142, 1 – 3.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2014.01.010
- Oliver, D.P., Anderson, J.S., Davis, A., Lewis, S., Brodie, J.Kookana, R. 2014. Banded applications are highly effective in minimizing herbicide migration from furrow-irrigated sugar cane. Science of the Total Environment 466–467, 841–848
- Bartley, R., Bainbridge, Z.T., Lewis , S.E., Kroon, F.J., Wilkinson, S.N., Brodie J.E., Silburn, D.M. 2014. Relating sediment impacts on coral reefs to watershed sources, processes and management: A review. Science of the Total Environment468-469, 1138-1153.
- Bartley, R., Bainbridge Z. T., Lewis, S. E., Kroon F. J., Wilkinson, S. N., Brodie, J. E., & Silburn, M. D. 2014. From Coral to cows – using ecosystem processes to inform catchment management of the Great Barrier Reef, in Vietz, G; Rutherfurd, I.D, and Hughes, R. (editors), Proceedings of the 7th Australian Stream Management Conference. Townsville, Queensland, Pages 9-16.
- O’Brien, D., Davis, A., Nash, M., DiBella, L., Turner, R., Reghenzani, J., Brodie, J. 2013. Water quality within the Herbert River catchment associated with specific land use. Proceedings of the Australian Society of Sugar Cane Technologists35.
- Karim, F. Palmer, A., Brodie, J. 2013. Hydrodynamic modelling of floodplain flow residence time in a wet tropical catchment, north eastern Australia. Proceedings of MODSIM 2013, Adelaide, Australia, December, 2013.
- Devlin, M., da Silva, E., Petus, C., Zeh, D., Wenger, A., Tracey, D., Alvarez-Romero, J., Brodie, J. 2013. Combining in-situ water quality and remotely sensed data across spatial and temporal scales to measure variability in wet season chlorophyll a: Great Barrier Reef lagoon (Queensland, Australia). Ecological Processes2: 31
- Waterhouse, J., Brodie, J., Maynard, J. 2013. Assessing the relative risk of land based pollutants to the Great Barrier Reef. Proceedings of MODSIM 2013, Adelaide, Australia, December, 2013.
- Grech, A., Bos, M., Brodie, J., Coles, R., Dale, A., Gilbert, R., Hamann, M., Marsh, H., Neil, K., Pressey, B., Rasheed, M., Sheaves, M., Smith, A. 2013. Guiding principles for the improved governance of port and shipping impacts in the Great Barrier Reef. Marine Pollution Bulletin75, 8 – 20. doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2013.07.013
- Dale, A., Vella, K., Pressey, R.L., Brodie, J., Yorkston, H., Potts, R. 2013. A method for risk analysis across governance systems: a Great Barrier Reef case study. Environmental Research Letters doi:10.1088/1748-9326/1/015037
- Alvarez-Romero, J.G., Devlin, M., Teixeira da Silva, E., Petus, C., Ban, N.C., Pressey, R.L., Kool, J., Roberts, J.J., Cerdeira-Estrada, S., Wenger, A.S., Brodie, J. 2013. A novel approach to model exposure of coastal-marine ecosystems to riverine flood plumes based on remote sensing techniques. Journal of Environmental Management119, 194 – 207.
- Lewis, S.E., Bainbridge, Z.T., Sherman, B.S., Kuhnert, P., Henderson, B., Cooper, M., Brodie, J.E. 2013. Calculating sediment trapping efficiencies for reservoirs in tropical settings: A case study from the Burdekin Falls Dam, NE Australia. Water Resources Research 49, 1 – 13. Doi: 10.1002/wrcr.20117, 2013.
- Tsatsaros, J.H., Brodie, J.E., Bohnet, I.C., Valentine, P. 2013. Water quality degradation of coastal waterways in the Wet Tropics, Australia. Water, Air and Soil Pollution224, 1443.
- King, J., Alexander, F., Brodie, J.E. 2013. Regulation and management of pesticides in Australia: The Great Barrier Reef as a case study. Agriculture Ecosystems and Environment180, 54 – 67.
- Butler, J.R., Wong, G.Y., Metcalfe, D.J., Honzák, M., Pert, P.L., Rao, N., van Grieken, M.E., Lawson, T., Bruce, C., Kroon, F.J. & Brodie, J.E. 2013. Applying an ecosystem services framework to identify catchment to reef trade-offs in water quality regulation in the Great Barrier Reef, Australia. Agriculture Ecosystems and Environment180, 176 – 191. doi:10.1016/j.agee.2011.08.017.
- Davis, A.M., Thorburn, P.J., Lewis, S.E., Bainbridge, Z.T., Attard, S.J., Milla, R. & Brodie, J.E. 2013. Herbicide run-off dynamics of furrow irrigated sugarcane farms and associated drainage systems on the Burdekin River Floodplain, north-eastern Australia. Agriculture, Ecosystems and the Environment180, 123 – 135. doi:10.1016/j.agee.2011.06.019.
- Brodie, J.E., Zoe Bainbridge, Stephen Lewis, Michelle Devlin, Jane Waterhouse, Aaron Davis, Frederieke Kroon, Britta Schaffelke and Eric Wolanski. 2012. Terrestrial pollutant runoff to the Great Barrier Reef: Issues, priorities and management response. Marine Pollution Bulletin 65, 81 – 100.doi:10.1016/j.marpolbul.2011.12.012.
- Brodie, J.Wolanski, E. Lewis S. Bainbridge Z. 2012. Residence times of major land-sourced contaminants in the Great Barrier Reef lagoon Marine Pollution Bulletin 65, 267 – 279. doi:10.1016/j.marpolbul.2011.12.011.
- Brodie, J., Waterhouse, J. 2012. A critical assessment of environmental management of the ‘not so Great’ Barrier Reef. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 104-105, 1-22. doi:10.1016/j.ecss.2012.03.012.
- Kennedy, K., Michelle Devlin; Christie Bentley; Kristie Lee-Chue; Chris Paxman; Steve Carter; Stephen E Lewis; Jon Brodie; Ellia Guy; Suzanne Vardy; Katherine Martin; Alison Jones; Robert Packett; Jochen F Mueller. 2012. The influence of a season of extreme wet weather events on exposure of the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area to pesticides.Marine Pollution Bulletin 64, 1495–1507.
- Lewis, Stephen E., Schaffelke, Britta, Shaw, Melanie, Bainbridge, Zoë T., Rohde, Ken W., Kennedy, Karen, Davis, Aaron M., Masters, Bronwyn L., Devlin, Michelle J., Mueller, Jochen F., and Brodie, Jon E. Assessing the additive risks of PSII herbicide exposure to the Great Barrier Reef. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 65, 280-291.
- Davis, Aaron M., Lewis, Stephen E., Bainbridge, Zoë T., Glendenning, Lionel, Turner, Ryan D.R., and Brodie, Jon E. Dynamics of herbicide transport and partitioning under event flow conditions in the lower Burdekin region, Australia. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 65, 182-193.
- Waterhouse, J., Brodie, J., Lewis, S., and Mitchell, A. 2012. Quantifying the sources of pollutants in the Great Barrier Reef catchments and the relative risk to reef ecosystems. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 65, 394-406.
- Kroon, Frederieke J., Kuhnert, Petra M., Henderson, Brent L., Wilkinson, Scott N., Kinsey-Henderson, Anne, Abbot, Brett, Brodie, Jon E., and Turner, Ryan D.R. 2012. River loads of suspended solids, nitrogen, phosphorus and herbicides delivered to the Great Barrier Reef lagoon.Marine Pollution Bulletin, 65, 167-181.
- Lewis, S.E., Brodie, J.E., McCulloch, M.T., Mallella, J., Jupiter, S.D., Williams, H. Stuart, Lough, J.M., and Matson, E.G. 2012. An assessment of an environmental gradient using coral geochemical records, Whitsunday Islands, Great Barrier Reef, Australia. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 65, 306-319.
- Bainbridge, Z.T., Wolanski, E., Alvarez-Romero, J.G., Lewis, S.E., Brodie, J.E. 2012. Fine sediment and nutrient dynamics related to particle size and floc formation in a Burdekin River flood plume, Australia. Marine Pollution Bulletin.65, 236 – 248. doi:10.1016/j.marpolbul.2012.01.043.
- Webster, A.J., Bartley, R., Brodie, J.E.and Thorburn, P.J. 2012. Reducing nitrogen fertiliser application rate reduces the nitrogen surplus and nitrogen losses in surface water from sugarcane production systems. Marine Pollution Bulletin 128 – 135. doi:10.1016/j.marpolbul.2012.02.023.
- Shaw, C. M., Mueller, J. F., Brodie, J. Phytotoxicity induced in isolated zooxanthellae by chemicals extracted from Great Barrier Reef flood waters. Marine Pollution Bulletin 65, 355 – 362. doi:10.1016/j.marpolbul.2012.01.037.
- Schroeder, T., Devlin, M., Brando, V.E., Dekker, A.G., Brodie, J., Clementson, L.A., McKinna, L. 2012. Inter-annual variability of wet season freshwater plume extent in the Great Barrier Reef lagoon based on satellite coastal ocean colour observations. Marine Pollution Bulletin 65, 210 – 223.
- Devlin, M J., McKinna, L.C., Alvarez-Romero, J.G., Petus, C., Abott, B., Harkness, P., Brodie, J. Exposure to riverine plumes in the Great Barrier Reef. Risk assessment by mapping plume extent and composition using remote sensing. MarinePollution Bulletin 224 – 235. doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2012.03.001.
- Kuhnert P.M., Henderson, B.L., Lewis, S.E., Bainbridge, Z.T., Wilkinson, S.N., Brodie, J.E. Quantifying total suspended sediment export from the Burdekin River catchment using the loads regression estimator tool. Water Resources Research 48, W04533, doi:10.1029/2011WR011080.
- Devlin, M., Brodie, J., Wenger, A., da Silva, E., Alvarez- Romero, J.G., Waterhouse, J. McKenzie, L. 2012. Extreme weather conditions in the Great Barrier Reef: Drivers of change? Proceedings of the 12th International Coral Reef Symposium, Cairns, Australia, 9-13 July 2012.
- Bohnet, I.C., Roebeling, P.C., Williams, K.J., Holzworth, D., van Grieken, M.E., Pert, P.L. Kroon, F.J., Westcott, D.A. & Brodie, J.E. Landscapes Toolkit – an integrated modeling framework to assist stakeholders in exploring options for sustainable landscape development. Landscape Ecology.26:1179-1198.
- Brodie, J.E., Devlin, M.J., Haynes, D. & Waterhouse, J. 2011. Assessment of the eutrophication status of the Great Barrier Reef (Australia). Biogeochemistry. 106, 281-302.
- Hughes, T.P., Bellwood, D.R., Baird, A.H., Brodie, J., Bruno, J.F., Pandolfi, J.M. 2011. Shifting base-lines, declining coral cover, and the erosion of reef resilience. Comment on Sweatman et al. (2011) Coral Reefs30, 653-660.