Postdoctoral Research Fellow – ARC CoE Coral Reef Studies, James Cook University- AIMS (2012-2015)
PhD candidate, James Cook University (2009-2012)
Head of the School, College of Veterinary Medicine, Lasalle University, Colombia (2007)
Director Veterinary Hospital, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Antioquia, Colombia (2006)
Professor of Radiology, Small Animal Surgery and Internal medicine. College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Antioquia 2000 – 2007.
Lecturer Veterinary Medical Imaging. College of Veterinary Medicine. University of Pamplona (2004)
Lecturer Veterinary Radiology. Graduate Program. UdeA-VEPA WSAVA associate (2004)
Lecturer Diagnostic Tools. University of Health Sciences (2003)
Researcher Biomaterials and Centauro Groups. University of Antioquia (2000 – 2008)
Jairo has broad interests in Crown-of-thorns starfish, biological control, host – pathogen interactions, parasitology and medical diagnosis of marine diseases (applied research). He is working closely with Prof Morgan Pratchett at James Cook University and strongly believes that the best way to solve problems of global sustainability is by working on multi-disciplinary groups. Jairo utilize the expertise of scientists in different fields in his research (e.g., biologist, veterinarians, engineers, microbiologist, etc).
▪ Rivera-Posada JA, Caballes CF, Owens L, Pratchett MS (2012). The role of protein extracts in the induction of disease in Acanthaster planci. JEMBE 429: 1–6 http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022098112002286
▪ Caballes CF, Schupp PJ, Pratchett MS, Rivera-Posada JA (2012). Interspecific transmission and recovery of TCBS-induced disease between Acanthasther planci and Linckia guildingi. DAO 100: 263–267 http://www.int-res.com/abstracts/dao/v100/n3/p263-267/
▪ Rivera Posada J, Pratchett MS (2012) A review of existing control efforts for A. planci; limitations to successes. Report to the Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population & Communities – National Environmental Research Program – Tropical Ecosystems Hub.
▪ Rivera-Posada JA, Pratchett MS, Cano-Gomez A, Arango-Gomez JD, Owens L (2011). Injection of Acanthaster planci with thiosulfate-citrate-bile-sucrose agar (TCBS). I. Disease induction. DAO 97 (2): 85-94 http://www.int-res.com/articles/dao_oa/d097p085.pdf
▪ Rivera-Posada JA, Pratchett MS, Cano-Gomez A, Arango-Gomez JD, Owens L (2011). Refined identification of bacterial flora from Acanthasther planci based on biochemical profiling and analysis of housekeeping genes. DAO 96: 113-123 http://www.int-res.com/articles/dao_oa/d096p113.pdf
▪ Rivera-Posada JA, Pratchett MS, Owens L (2011). Injection of Acanthaster planci with thiosulfate-citrate-bile-sucrose agar (TCBS). II. Histopathological changes. DAO 97 (2): 95-102 http://www.int-res.com/articles/dao_oa/d097p095.pdf
▪ Carlos D Jaramillo, Jairo A Rivera, Alejandro Echavarría, Johan O¨byrne, Diego Congote, Luis F Restrepo (2010). Osteoconductive and osseointegration properties of a commercial hydroxyapatite compared to a synthetic product. Revista Colombiana de Ciencias Pecuarias 23 (4): 471-484
▪ Aguinaga H, Rivera J, Tobón M, Osorno R (2006). Methods for elaboration of an atlas of the dog by computer axial tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance (MRI). Revista Colombiana de Ciencias Pecuarias 19 (4): 451-459
▪ Jaramillo C, Rivera J, Echevarria A, Escobar M (2006). Comparison of the University of Antioquia hydroxyapatite to the commercial product Osteogen®. Revista Colombiana de Ciencias Pecuarias 19 (1): 90-91
▪ Rivera J, Riaño C, Echavarría A, Monsalve P, Alzate G, Restrepo LF, Jaramillo C (2004). Osseous graft-New alternative. Phase III. Obtainment, characterization and evaluation of synthetic hydroxyapatite and bone morphogenetic proteins in rabbits. Revista Colombiana de Ciencias Pecuarias 17 (1): 21-27
▪ Rivera J, Riaño C, Monsalve P, Restrepo LF, Aranzazu DA, Giraldo G, Alzate G, Jaramillo C, De leon M, Hernandez E (2003). Osseous graft-New alternative. Phase II. Osteoinductive properties of partially purified bone morphogenetic proteins subcutaneously implanted in rabbits. Revista Colombiana de Ciencias Pecuarias 16 (3): 249-256
▪ Rivera J, Riaño C, Monsalve P and Osorio A (2003). Osseous graft-New alternative. Phase I. Extraction of partially purified bone morphogenetic proteins from bovine bone. Revista Colombiana de Ciencias Pecuarias 16 (2): 139-146
▪ Alzate G, Tamayo L, Rivera J (2003). Comparison between the Supracondylar Suture Technique and the Modified Deangelis method for correction of Cranial Cruciate Ligament rupture in dogs. Revista Colombiana de Ciencias Pecuarias 16 Supplement: 35-36
▪ Bustamante JJ, Rivera J (2001). Introduction of diagnostic imaging techniques: Computerized Tomography (CT) and Magnetic Resonance (MR) to the Animal anatomy lectures of the University of Antioquia. Revista Colombiana de Ciencias Pecuarias 14 supplement: 63.